Trusted Bird Scooter Accident Lawyers
Bird scooters are the hip new way to get around town in many major cities, but if you get hurt using one, what happens? A Bird scooter accident lawyer can help you understand the law and get fair compensation for your accident.
Motorized scooters have become a convenient and economically/ecologically-friendly means of transportation. According to Bird and Lime – the two most popular companies in the motorized scooters industry – serious accidents are bound to happen when the necessary safety requirements are not in place. From brain injuries to spinal cord problems, broken or fractured bones, lacerations, bruises, and road rash among others, riders are at risk of sustaining various injuries caused by motorized scooters.
You will find most Bird scooters parked by bike racks in places where their presence do not block public pathways. They can also be found parked in the front of restaurants, stores, or buildings, provided they are not in any way disturbing the building.
Simply access the Bird app to rent and pay for use of Bird scooter. You will be required to sign up as a qualified rider and pay a certain out-of-system fee. Each Bird ride costs a fixed unlock fee of $1, and an additional 15 cents for every minute spent on the ride.
As they continue to grow in popularity, it is important to note that electric scooters are associated with serious injury risks. When accidents befall, it is wise to consult with an experienced Bird Scooter accident lawyer, such as those at Conoscienti & Ledbetter, LLC to discuss your options.
Speak with trusted Bird Scooter Accident Lawyer today, for free.
Unfortunately, what they offer in convenience, they lack in safety. In fact, they surpass Uber and Lyft in both popularity and number of accidents. The leading cause of Bird scooter accidents in recent times is likely due to drivers’ inability to share the roads safely.
Causes of Electric Scooter Accidents
Although they occur for a range of reasons, the majority of the accidents on or around an electric scooter have been reported to be caused by one or more of the following:
- The driver trying to avoid other objects, including pedestrians, a motor vehicle, another scooter, a dog, or a bicyclist.
- The rider may need to escape an attacking dog. Dog breeds with high prey drives commonly chase electric scooter riders. This has the potential to cause a severe crash with multiple injuries.
- Pedestrians may also be at risk. Many people have tripped on an abandoned scooter on a sidewalk, or by a moving electric scooter.
- Other motorists are often involved. Drivers of motor vehicles may knowingly or unknowingly swerve towards a scooter while trying to avoid hitting another object.
Additionally, scooter riders have been injured when they run into a vehicle with open doors, a turning vehicle, or a vehicle backing up. Although the vehicle’s owner will be protected by his/her insurance, a Bird scooter accident lawyer offers the best representation when you’ve been involved in an electric scooter accident.
Causes of Bird Scooter Crashes
Although they are advertised as a simple and efficient transportation method, there are several other causes of Bird scooter crashes. Including user-error, these include, but are not limited to the following:
- Failure of the rider to wear a safety helmet
- Hit-and-run accidents where scooter riders are hit by cars
- Inexperience of the rider, or failure to follow traffic laws and safety protocols
- Malfunctioning scooter or scooter equipment
- Pedestrians being hit by Bird scooters going at high speed
- Pedestrians getting injured when attempting to avoid colliding with an electric scooter rider
- Riding on the sidewalk or the wrong side of the street
Plus, with their small wheels and a high center of gravity, scooters tend to get wobbly after a while. Likewise, the front wheel may lock up while braking. When this happens, the rider gets thrown over the front.
It is surprising that the manufacturers of Bird scooters have failed to address the risks involved in using their scooters. Wrongful death, personal injury, and accident attorneys can fight for compensation and damages.
Unfortunately, most scooter drivers fail to adhere to the rules of the road and scooter safety practices. The direct implication of this is an increase in the rate of accidents and ultimately the number of people getting injured. There are several ways to implement electric scooter safety practices in Georgia.
Make sure to always wear a helmet when riding an electric scooter. Avoid riding on the sidewalks. Never ride with another person on the scooter with you. Do not enable children to drive the Bird scooters. Keep in mind that scooters abandoned at entrances and exits of buildings or in the middle of a sidewalk block handicap access and prevent people from moving freely. Always place the scooter responsibly when you are done using it.
Fortunately, with a bit of attention and effort, you should be able to avoid most of the pitfalls that could result in a Bird scooter accident. If you find yourself recovering from a mishap involving this popular form of transportation, contact an experienced attorney to discuss your options.